Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Government only moves backward

-->
Last week I received these little green postcards that told me it was time to get new tags for my cars of and course pay the tax to get them. I noticed real low dollar amounts on both of them, the Mustang was $11.20 and the old truck $6.25. I remembered the taxes being less in Tuscaloosa County versus Jefferson but I said damn, didn’t think there was that much of a difference. So Friday about 11:30 I head out to see the tax man.

I stand in line for about 30 to 45 minutes and I finally get my time at the window. I ended up with a young college boy, who I could tell was fairly intelligent. I hand him my cards to start working on the paperwork and I say hey look, I think my boat taxes are due next month, how about you include them and let’s get it all over for the year. He looked up and said you can’t pay your tax till it is due; you will have to come back next month. I said humm I ain’t never seen a tax man that wouldn’t take my money in advance. I am sorry sir you are going to have to come back next month. Okay let’s get this car tag done then.


He looks at the dollar amount at the bottom and then goes to the back to see his boss. He comes back and says sir the reason these are so low is that you must have moved into the county in March and this is just for one month. I said okay, I thought it was too good to be true so figure it up for thirteen months. I can’t do that sir, I have to issue you a tag for one month and you will have to come back in April. The people behind me groan, like I ain’t believing he said that.

I just look at him. I got to come back in April? Yes sir. Let me ask you this, if I close up this checkbook and walk out of here and come back in April you going to sell me a tag for 12 months? He said no sir we would notice that you had not paid your tax for March and we would back charge you. I started chuckling and said you realize what you just said and he smiled looked back at his boss’s window and then looked me in the eye with a smile and said around here we only go backwards sir.

So I have two new tags good for a month, don’t seem worth putting on, I am sure there will be some little green cards in the mail soon and when I go back to stand in the line for another 30 minutes, he will then have to re-do some paperwork and will probably issue me another metal tag since this is metal tag year. Go figure.

Art Bubba Nalley
Redneck Hertiage Network
@2009

No comments: