Total Pageviews

Friday, November 12, 2010

Past Throat Cancer Story


It is the 3rd day of treatment and starting to feel some of the effects. I don't feel the treatment but my voice is getting worse and my taste buds are going away. They gave me a damn list of things I can't have over the next six weeks and I swear they must have interviewed me during my sleep to find out what I like and outlawed it. I love a tomato sandwich and guess what mine are just coming in and I been eating them every night for a week. No can do. And you know that orange juice I like in the morning with my sausage biscuit, no can do. You know all those years of smoking made me spice everything up to the max so I could taste it; you guessed it no can do.

These folks don't have any sense of humor at all but I am trying to train them. They took my picture (a dad pose) and every time I come in they ask me if that is me. Today I put on my glasses and looked real hard at the picture, which made the tech's look at it real hard too. I looked around the waiting room and said; you see anybody else that damn good looking in here? They laughed and said come on back Mr. Nalley.

They made this special mask that supposedly only fits my face so when we got in the room I said, okay you ask me each time I come in if the picture on the treatment schedule is me but what is there to say you are using the right mask, you got my name on it? He showed me that they did and then assured me that the mask is so specialized as to facial features that if he tried to use someone else's it would not fit. I look and they got all the other current patients mask hanging up in an open closet. I pointed and said good damn thing I ain't got prostate cancer I would hate to be hanging in there and have the female tech's come by and judge me each day before treatment. The female tech laughed her ass off and the male one actually blushed.

Well I beat that cancer and recently got my five year okay and later had prostate cancer but had surgery versus radiation. Hope none of you ever face this in your life but if you do, put a little humor in it. It helps.

Addition:
It appears I have become the poster boy on Goggle, Bing and Yahoo for a picture of throat cancer. This story by far is my most read story on my blog.  It was written in an attempt to put a little humor into the situation because no one likes to hear they have cancer.  So don’t just stop with this story, I have over 60 more on my blog and I prescribe for you to read no less than one per day.  If you are a man trying to figure out a woman you will like a lot of my stories.  But most important by far is find humor in all things humor and laughter will cure you.

Art Nalley
Redneck Hertiage Network
@2005

No comments: