Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Drivers License and First Real Date

From the time a boy is about 13, he constantly looks forward to that great age of 15 where he can get a driver’s license and go out on a “real date”. Before real dates, you couldn’t have a lot of fun, unless it was a hayride, somebody’s birthday party or half time at a ball game. Well it took forever, but the day finally arrived and I went down and took the driver’s test. I passed, as it was one of the few things I was really motivated to study for. They would give you a paper temporary license and the real one would come a month to six weeks later. Later that week, I talked my parents into letting me take one of the cars up to a Woolmarket ball game. Nothing special happened that night except that somehow I lost my paper license. My parents found out about it and said I would have to wait on the plastic before I could use the car again. That month to six weeks seemed like the longest period of my life. I was very upset with myself for losing something I had been waiting so long for. Everyday, I would check the mailbox to see if it had arrived. I was constantly thinking about the fun; I could have if that piece of plastic would just show up.

Well they say if you wait long enough something is bound to happen and the plastic finally arrived. My father had a couple of older cars (maybe 10 years old) that my two older brothers would get to use from time to time for dates. However, recently he had sold some land to the Interstate 10 folks and went down and bought a brand new blue, automatic Dodge. I'm thinking postive, as my older brothers would not ask to take the new car and they had several years of driving experience by this time.

I went to the house and waiting patiently till the phone was free. In those days we had an 8 party line and not only did you have to fight the brothers for the use of the phone, sometimes those other 7 folks wanted to talk also. I was determined….I had the plastic, and I was going to get me a real date. I thought about whom all I could call, a lot of them were not allowed to date yet. Scratch them off the list. I narrowed it down to about 2 or 3 and settled on (Guess which Woolmarket Girl). She was just starting to really blossom and was looking real good nowadays. It was rumored that her older sister got pregnant and so naturally I assumed she had that same hot blood running through her veins. If you are going out on a first date, you damn sure don’t want to waste it. It was around 4 o’clock on a Friday afternoon when I made contact with her. I asked her if she would like to go to the movies that night and she said yes, but she had to get her parents approval and call me back. She must have had to do some powerful talking, cause she didn’t call me back for an hour.

Hot Damn…she got the okay and I was going to pick her up at 6:30. After I hung up the phone, I suddenly realized I had forgotten to plan out two very important things to make this date successful. Yep, that is right….I had no money and no car. I looked into the living room and there was my two older brothers sitting with my Dad watching television. I had hoped that they would leave so that I could talk to Dad alone, but one of their favorite shows was on, so I didn’t see how that was going to work. I was a man on a mission with limited time. I still had to take a shower (which could take a while when you had to fight others for use of the room) steal somebody’s good smelling stuff and get prepared. I decided to go ahead and get ready and then ask, as maybe the bro’s would be gone by then. No such luck…I came out of the bathroom and there they all still sat. I went to the room with the phone and thought about calling her and telling her I got sick, or at least telling her I was going to be a little late. After about two minutes of thinking, I decided to go for the gusto…be a man, stand tall, start with a big request and negotiate down to a reasonable solution. I entered the living room and sat on the couch waiting for a commercial. One of my brothers asked if I had been into their aftershave and I said no. The commercial came on and I stood up and walked over to my Father. He looked at me and I confidently asked….Dad…I have a date tonight in about 20 minutes. I need the keys to the Dodge and five bucks as I am taking her to the Drive In. My two older bothers (Hank and Stan) saw this as a very funny situation and fell on the floor laughing as they were positive of what the answer would be.

My Dad waiting till the laughter subsided and then looked at me. He said, boy, you know what……You have such big balls I think I am just going to have to give it to you. He reached in his pocket and gave me Five dollars. He then went to the key ring and gave me the keys to the Dodge. Hank and Stan were in total shock. I can still very clearly remember the look of awe on their faces as I passed behind my father’s seat. As I got to the door, I stuck out my tongue out at em and laughed.

Went to pick her up and had to do the parent thing…sit around and let them ask you questions but finally we did hit the road. I didn’t score on my first date, as it turns out her having an older sister that got pregnant put a little damper on things. That’s right there was no way that she was going to end up in the same situation. You couldn’t get close to those panties with dynamite! However, knowing that what she had to offer was limited she was a very good kisser. Overall it had been a good day. Dream big and you never know what may fall out of the sky.

Art Nalley
Redneck Hertiage Network
@2001

No comments: