Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Charm, Personality and Intelligence

Edie is my baby sister and mama finally hung up the baby birthing business with her. I think each of us boys should send her a yearly gift of appreciation cause if mama would have had her first I am not sure how many of us would be here. I imagine Edie could tell some stories about growing up with a house full of boys. I have often thought poor ole Greg and Gregory don’t have a chance as she had heard and seen it all by time she was 18. Although I was out of the house and in the Army for most of Edie’s teen age years I can still remember several stories on her but going to begin with one called:

I had moved up thru the VA System to a big GS-6 Purchasing Agent at the Biloxi VA. I had a good friend that was working a temporary position in Property Management at the VA who later took a much higher paying job out at the Sea Bee Base. Edie I believe was working a part time GS-3 position at the VA in Engineering Service and applied for a GS-4 position out at the Sea Bee Base. It just so happened that she qualified and that my friend was the supervisor of the unit she had applied for. He called me one day to say he was looking over the applications and did I know an Edie that worked in Engineering. I said yeah I sure do that is my baby sister. He said well I got an interview set up with her later this week and based on what I see I may hire her. He said, she any good, I said hell yeah she is my sister. He laughed and the call ended. So Edie goes to her interview and sometime during the interview he lets her know that he had worked with her brother Art and that I had spoken highly of her.

On the way back from the interview she called me very upset. I don’t need your help to get a job, I can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! On my Charm, Personality and Intelligence! She turned down the job to prove the point. I never again offered or responded to any questions about my baby sister’s work ethics or performance. She has gone from a GS-3 to a GS-12 at one facility and I can tell you that is very hard to do as I have had to move several times to achieve it. I have no doubt in my military mind that she achieved it all thru her Charm, personality and Intelligence. I am very proud of my little sister yet I ain’t certain she is a Nalley as she never brags on her achievements.
Just don’t seem right!

On a side note let me tell you about a little conversation I had with her a few years back when kidding her about the Charm, personality and Intelligence thing. She had put in for a higher paying position and in kidding I said, I don’t know how many folks I still have any influence with down there but you want me to see what I can do?
Her response was I will take all the help I can get! I didn’t know anybody anymore and didn’t make any calls and she got the job, just as I figured she would and she did all on that Charm, personality and intelligence.


Art Nalley
Redneck Heritage Network
@2003

No comments: