Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Picking Tomsgetti, developing Musksgetti and the Krohn family Part 1

Well let’s see I was around twelve and figured it would be fun to go over to the Krohn boys house (Blaine and HW) for the weekend so I gave them a call to see if it was okay.  With them and my family both on eight party lines and it was hard to get through sometimes.  So Blaine calls back and I ask what they up to and is it okay for me to come over and spend the night.  He says he is fairly sure it will be okay but let him ask his parents and call me back.  He says we ain’t doing much just helping Daddy pick the spaghetti bushes.  I said well I don’t know that I want to come over to work digging up them taters last time was hard.  He said spaghetti picking was not all that hard. 

So I get my Mom to drive me over and drop me off.  So Blaine and HW come out to meet the car and I said I figured y’all would be out in the field picking spaghetti.  They said no we finished that up so we went inside.  After a while I got to thinking that I wanted to see a spaghetti bush so I ask for them to show me one.  They looked at me like they were kind of mad and said we picked it all and it will just look like a tomato plant.  So I stayed on them to see one and they said they would show me tomorrow.   So the next day we go out to the field and about 20 feet off they point to some tomato plants and say you can’t go any closer.  It does look like I can see some spaghetti growing on that plant and I can see baby tomato’s also.  They said look we ain’t suppose to even show it to you.  Dad found out that we told you about them and got mad as hell as he said it was a family secret he was not ready to share yet.

So years go on by and we all go to high school and I don’t see as much of the Krohn boys as much as I did during the Woolmarket days but every time I see Mr. WM Krohn I ask him about them spaghetti bushes.  He just smiles and says we had a fairly good crop this year.   So I get out of high school and join the ARMY for four years and then go to work at the VA Medical Center and start moving from State to State.  Every once in a while me and my friends would be drinking a few beers and I would tell them about those tomato and spaghetti bushes.  They would always look at me kind of strange like so that is where they come from? 

So back in 1999 I move from Richmond Virginia to Birmingham, Alabama and down visiting my father in Woolmarket.   My father and I always had competitions on the gardens so I figured I would one up him and get me some tomsgetti seeds.   

So I go over while on vacation and start bugging Mr.Krohn's for some seeds.  So he said he don’t grow them anymore as they turned out to be more trouble than they were worth.  I ask what the trouble was and he said it was like this.  The tomato’s never got big cause they were in competition with the spaghetti growing at the same time and the mixture plant looked too much like wacky tobacco.  I said you talking Marijuana and he said yeah that.  He said it would start with the cops and those DEA folks dropping by wanting to arrest him but they didn’t have a regulation dealing with a plant that just looked like Marijuana but grew tomatos and spaghetti.  They ask him if he smoked it and he said nope just picked the tomatos and spaghetti so they had to fire off a letter to DC to find out how to handle it.  Then he said just about the time it really started putting on the spaghetti (four feet) them damn Hippies from Biloxi would see it and cut it down at night to smoke.  He had to almost guard his garden which didn’t make it worth it.

So I said too bad as I always wanted to grow some and he finally had mercy on me.  He went back into the house and came back with a packet of seed that looked somewhat like Squash and Okra seeds mixed.  He said, I have not planted any in years but here is a hand full they may work for you or not good luck.  So I planted them several years up here in McCalla but just like he said, once they got up around 4 feet tall the cops would be dropping by for a visit or the neighbors would be looking over the fence pointing to them saying what you growing there?  So I figured there had to be a better way so looked around the yard and saw my muscadine plant and it all made sense to me. Since spaghetti grows better in the winter months and the Muscadine’s are usually gone by the end of August or early September there must be a way to cross the two.  And this took Years of trying folks so we save this process and adventure till Part II.

Art Nalley
Rooster

Redneck Heritage Network @2013

No comments: